I am a big fan of random acts of kindness.
These are not acts of kindness for people you know; this is about being kind to complete strangers, for no other reason than that you can be.
Performing random acts of kindness is a conscious choice.
I remember when I first came across the idea of performing random acts, and I was stunned that you were ‘allowed’ to be kind to a complete stranger. I think that is my English upbringing at play: “Do not meddle in other people’s business.”
But it turns out you can. You can be kind, to be kind.
If you have never performed a RAK here is a simple list.
1. Smile at someone on the street.
2. Put sticky notes with positive slogans on the mirrors in restrooms.
3. Give someone a tissue who’s crying in public, and offer to talk about it, but only if they want to.
4. Ask a homeless person their name. Tell them yours. Shake their hand.
5. Say thank you to the person who cleans the toilets. Look them in the eye when you do it.
6. Be kind to the customer service rep on the phone, few people are.
7. Buy flowers to hand to someone on the street.
8. Pay for the coffee of the next person in the queue.
9. Pay for someone else’s parking.
10. Give a struggling parent on public transport a few kind words.
You will have no idea how this act will transform their day, their week, maybe their life.
Maybe they will pay it forward. Maybe they will treat their spouse better that evening. Maybe they will tell their friends, and this will spark more kindness. Perhaps you just made them happy at that moment. Maybe that is enough.
And you will never know how being kind to a complete stranger for no reason at all, other than because you can, will change your day, your week, your life.
Wishing you weekend, of kindness. Let the kindness begin! xxx